Loading. Please wait.
Accessibility help

Qualifying courses financial support bursary

Qualifying courses financial support bursary

We would like our qualifying courses to be as accessible as possible.

Please note we are updating eligibility for financial support after our first year and will be providing more information soon.

If you're passionate about training to work therapeutically with children and young people but, due to financial needs, might otherwise struggle to fund this level of training, our bursary scheme is here to support you.

It's important to us that those working as counsellors for children and young people reflect pupils in our schools. We have developed our qualifying courses especially to attract and train those from under-represented groups in the counselling profession, including:

  • people from Black, Asian and ethnically diverse communities 
  • people with disabilities 
  • men
  • care leavers
  • gender-diverse members of the LGBTQIA+ community.

Financial support could cover:

  • your course tuition fee
  • living expenses throughout your 12-month course (Level 4 only)
  • a subsidy for personal therapy
  • further options to reclaim some travel and resource expenses.

Before applying, please make sure you also read the terms and conditions for our courses.

The scheme is open to all UK residents and we strongly encourage applications from under-represented groups in the counselling profession.

To apply for a bursary, you need to:

  • show that you have a gross annual household income of less than £35,000
  • confirm that your highest level of education is degree-level (Level 6) or lower
  • meet the relevant course entry requirements.

The application form will ask for:

  • your contact details
  • financial eligibility information
  • any previous counselling qualifications
  • motivation for studying counselling
  • additional learning support requirements
  • relevant safeguarding information.

You might find it helpful to see our overview of all the application questions before starting your application.  

We will ask you the following questions to confirm your eligibility for a bursary position on our qualifying courses. Some questions will require you to upload supporting documents as proof of your financial need. Examples of these are below:

Proof of income

Provide one of the following:

  • payslips (from the last 3 months) for relevant persons  
  • HMRC Tax statements if self-employed.

Proof of address

Provide one of the following:

  • utility or Council Tax bill (from the past 3 months) 
  • bank statement (from the past 3 months) 
  • tax assessment 
  • photographic ID (e.g. driver’s license) 
  • mortgage statement 
  • certificate of voter registration 
  • NHS medical card or local GP registration confirmation.

Confirmation of allowance/support that you receive

Provide proof if you receive any of the following:

  • free school meal entitlement 
  • free prescriptions 
  • Universal Credit 
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Carer's Allowance 
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • any other means-tested benefits.

This could be in the form of a bank statement or letter from the awarding authority.

Supporting information

You will not need to upload proof for the following questions:

  • How many dependents under the age of 18 currently live in your household? 
  • Do any of your children or dependents receive SEN support at school? 
  • Are you a carer? 
  • Are you a single parent? 
  • What is the highest level of qualification you have achieved? 
  • Are you the first person in your family to go into further education? 
  • Please further elaborate on your current living situation and financial circumstances and what has led you to apply for a Place2Be bursary. 
  • Other than financially, are there any challenges that you may face while studying, and how will you overcome them? 

Household income includes:

  • your gross personal salary
  • income you receive from your own savings
  • investments or property (for example dividends or rent)
  • any benefits or allowances.

Your household income should also include the income of any adults you live with that you are financially dependent on or that you share living costs with. This could include your parents or partner’s income.

For example, if you live with a partner or parent and you share the cost of rent and bills (or if they support you financially), you should include their income as part of your household income. This does not apply if you live with housemates.

You can apply for a bursary when completing your application form for the Postgraduate Diploma 2024 course. The application form will ask you if you are applying for a bursary or a self-funded position. Before completing your application, please read the: