Counselling Placements in schools
Counselling Placements in schools
Place2Be offers Counselling Placements in schools across England, Scotland and Wales.
Every year over 1,000 counsellors and therapists take up one of our Counselling Placements, providing one-to-one support to vulnerable children and young people in schools.
We are still accepting applications for Counsellors' on Placement and have adjusted our interview process due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
Our Counselling Placements are a great opportunity to work with children and young people in a safe therapeutic setting.
Through talking, creative work and play, Counsellors on Placement gave over 5,300 pupils the opportunity to be heard last year.
80% of those with the highest level of need showed an improvement in wellbeing according to parents, and over half clinically recovered.
- Spend 1 day per week in a school, during term only
- Work during school hours, 8.30am - 4.30pm (half-day placements available in some areas)
- Start at any point in the school year to fit alongside your studies or schedule.
- A structured placement in a primary, secondary or all-through school for 1 year or more
- Clinical hours towards accreditation or your course (though some courses do not accept child counselling hours, so check with your tutor before applying)
- On-site, same-day supervision from a clinically-qualified School Project Manager
- Developmental training and access to free clinical workshops (on a range of topics, from attachment theory to therapeutic endings)
- Career opportunities at a growing organisation. (Over two thirds of our clinical team started as Counsellors on Placement.)
To apply for a Counselling Placement, you need to have completed or be studying towards a:
- Diploma in Counselling (Level 4 or above in England and Wales, or equivalent diploma at SCQF Level 9-11 in Scotland)
- Degree or Masters in Counselling, Counselling/Clinical Psychology, Psychotherapy or Art Therapy
- Some courses do not accept child counselling hours, so please check with your tutor before you apply.
We also welcome trained counsellors, therapists and counselling/clinical psychologists who are willing to give their time to support our valuable work.
If you’re an adult counsellor looking to learn about working with children and young people, apply for our Level 4 Certificate.
We encourage applications from different backgrounds and communities.
Once we’ve assessed your application, you may be invited for interview. If you are successful, we will arrange for you to have an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service DBS or Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) check.
If you don’t meet our entry criteria, take the next step on your training journey and apply for our counselling qualifications.
Any questions? Our Placements Team would be glad to help.
Counsellors on Placement get amazing support from their School Project Managers – and Place2Be prides itself on being a learning organisation, so there’s no better place for a counselling student to learn to become a practitioner.
Lindsay Cooper - Assistant Professor of Counselling, University of Nottingham
We are still accepting applications for Counsellors on Placement and have adjusted our interview process due to the outbreak of COVID-19.
Provide vital support to children and young people, while developing unique skills and experience at a charity with over 25 years of experience. Become a Counsellor on Placement with Place2Be.
- Download and complete our Counsellors on Placement application form (DOCX 90KB)
- Follow the apply link below then select 'Show all' from the Results per page drop down list. Then click search
- Find the role in your area
- Create an account and upload your completed application form
- A member of the Placements Team will be in touch within two weeks to inform you of the outcome