To apply for a volunteer counselling placement, please follow these simple steps:
1. Download this application form and complete it electronically
2. Click here and choose your preferred location
3. Create an account if you haven't already done so
4. Upload your completed application form when prompted
*Please note if you log-in to an existing account you may need to repeat Step 2. We do not accept application forms sent through the post or via email.
Our counselling placements offer a great opportunity to work with children in a safe therapeutic setting within a primary school or secondary school. Through talking, creative work and play, our counsellors provide children with the opportunity to be heard and to express their feelings.
You can help us reach thousands of vulnerable children across the UK.
What are the benefits?
Our placements offer excellent onward career opportunities in therapeutic settings, as well as:
- Unrivalled clinical experience of counselling children in schools
- Over 50% of our Volunteer Counsellors move in to paid work for us!
- Fully funded clinical training including CPD
- 80+ hours towards accreditation recognised by BACP
- One day per week for one academic year
- Same day on site supervision
Volunteer Counsellor Stories
Read some of the inspiring and insightful stories of other Place2Be volunteer counsellors.
Your Counselling Placement structure
- One day a week in a school, term time only.
- During school hours - 8.30am - 4.30pm (half a day in the North East).
Where can I volunteer?
Have a look at our list of volunteer opportunities by area.
What we ask of you
We encourage applicants from a wide range of disciplines, backgrounds and experiences.
To take up a clinical placement, you will need to be a qualified Counsellor, Therapist or Clinical Psychologist. Alternatively you will be studying towards one of the following qualifications:
- Diploma in Counselling (Level 4 or above)
- Degree or Masters in Counselling, Counselling Psychology, Psychotherapy or Art Therapy
Want to become a Volunteer Counsellor but don't have the necessary experience? You can gain these skills through our Professional Qualification courses.
On a counselling course that is Adult focused but would like to gain skills to counsel children? The Level 4 Certificate in Counselling Children (Practice) is a great way to gain a specialist qualification that recognises and accredits the entire Volunteer Counsellor experience.
Criminal Record checks
Placements involve one-to-one work with children in schools, so we arrange for all of our Volunteer Counsellors to have enhanced disclosure checks of criminal records.
(by selecting the appropriate location below):
*Please only apply to one vacancy, location can be discussed at a later date.
Place2Be Students Only - Placement Registration
Want to know more? Email email@example.com or call 0207 923 5533.