Our counselling placements offer a great opportunity to work with children in a safe therapeutic setting within a primary school or secondary school. Through talking, creative work and play, our counsellors provide children with the opportunity to be heard and to express their feelings.
You can help us reach thousands of vulnerable children across the UK.
View the full list of the schools we work in.
What Place2Be offers you:
- A well-structured placement in a primary or secondary school
- Clinical hours towards Accreditation
- On-site, same-day supervision from a clinically qualified School Project Manager
- Developmental training before you start your placement, and access to a variety of free high quality clinical workshops once you have started
- Career opportunities – more than two thirds of our clinical team started as volunteers with us, and as a growing charity there is lots of potential to start an exciting career!
Your Counselling Placement structure
- One day a week in a school, term time only.
- During school hours - 8.30am - 4.30pm. Half day placements are available in some areas.
- We recruit for Volunteer Counsellors all year round, so you are able to start your placement at any time during the academic year.
What we ask of you
To take up a clinical placement, you will need to be a qualified Counsellor, Therapist or Clinical/Counselling Psychologist. Alternatively you will be studying towards one of the following qualifications:
- Diploma in Counselling (Level 4 or above)
- Degree or Masters in Counselling, Counselling/Clinical Psychology, Psychotherapy or Art Therapy
On a counselling course that is Adult focused but would like to gain skills to counsel children? The Level 4 Certificate in Counselling Children (Practice) is a great way to gain a specialist qualification that recognises and accredits the entire Volunteer Counsellor experience.
Want to become a Volunteer Counsellor but don't have the necessary experience? You can gain these skills through our Qualifications in counselling courses.
Criminal Record checks
Placements involve one-to-one work with children in schools, so we arrange for all of our Volunteer Counsellors to have enhanced disclosure checks of criminal records.
Volunteer Counsellor Stories
Read some of the inspiring and insightful stories of other Place2Be volunteer counsellors.
Want to know more? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0207 923 5533.