About the Diploma:
Place2Be's Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Children equips participants with the skills and experience to become a qualified counsellor for children - with a unique link between training and supervision through a supervised placement in a Place2Be partner school, on top of stimulating residential weekends.
This 2 year part-time course is the only one of its kind to be delivered by a service delivery organisation based on the needs of the children we work with every day. The Diploma also offers a comprehensive pathway from beginner to Masters Level for students undertaking Level 2 and Level 3.
What it covers:
A combination of academic and experiential learning, covering a range of topics including:
- Counselling skills
- The use of play and creativity
- Child development
- Child observation
- An integrated counselling approach including Person Centered, Psychodynamic, Systemic and Attachment theories
- Working transculturally
- Emotional and therapeutic support in schools
- Assessment, referral and multi-agency working
Useful for those who want to:
- Become qualified, registered child counsellors
- Learn how to work therapeutically with children in a variety of setting: schools, clinics, family centres, private practice
- Receive training in child development, systemic thinking and integrative counselling theory
- Develop skills as a creative and reflective counselling practitioner
- Deepen their understanding of themselves in a professional context
- Develop their own philosophy and style as a counsellor for children based on the Place2Be Therapeutic Approach and Programme Philosophy and Rationale
- Experience a challenging and life-enhancing journey of growth and self-discovery
- 400 hours of tutor contact time, 100 supervised clinical hours, and a minimum of 30 hours per year of personal therapy
- 1 full day's tuition (9.30am-5pm) per week in the 1st term
- From the 2nd term onwards, students undertake a full day's placement in a Place2Be school plus 1 tuition session per week (daytime or evening)
- In addition, there are training weekends held twice in Year 1 and 3 times in Year 2
- Substantial reading and written work outside of contact hours
Read more >>
View full programme specification >>
Staff and Outside Speakers
The Place2Be staff leading the Postgraduate and Masters programmes have a wealth of experience in the field of children's mental health and well-being.
Read about our staff and speakers >>
- Degree or equivalent professional qualification - if you do not have a degree you will need to submit a 1,500 word essay with your application form
- Experience of working with children that is indicative of ability to achieve the standards of the programme
- Successful completion of the Place2Be Level 3 Certificate in Counselling Skills for Working with Children OR an equivalent certificate level (or above) in counselling training
- Willingness to be playful and creative
- Willingness to be self-reflective and having a commitment to self-development
- Effective listening skills
- Appropriate personal qualities of warmth, genuineness and empathy
- Willingness to work in a group
- Spoken and written English to GCSE level
- Place2Be's Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Children in Schools is accredited by the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and validated by the University of East London (UEL). The course will equip learners to counsel children in any setting, with specific focus on schools.
Dates - Download calendar
Tuesdays (Term 1: Daytime, Terms 2-6: Evening)
5 September 2017 - 24 July 2018
Thursdays (Term 1-6: Daytime)
7 September 2017 - 26 July 2018
Costs and funding
The fee for the Postgraduate Diploma is £5,650 per year. For further details including bursaries find out more >>
How to apply
1. Before applying for the Postgraduate Diploma, you need to attend a Place2Be Taster Day.
2. Download and complete an application form and two references to support your application,
3. We will process your application accordingly and contact you to arrange an interview should your application be successful.
Application Deadline: 26 May 2017
Find out more
If you are interested in finding out more about this course, or have any questions, we are always happy to help.
Fill out the form below or give us a call on 020 7923 5558
or email firstname.lastname@example.org.